KAMN Show #43: TRON

Welcome to Show #43… Greetings, Programs!

Feature Discussion: Summer, Dave, Jen and special guest Krazy Joe discuss the 1982 scifi cult classic TRON, brought to us by Disney Studios.

Brief Story Description: Kevin Flynn is a young hotshot programmer who’s been ousted from his job at ENCOM after an older programmer, Ed Dillinger, stole the game code Flynn had been writing, and presented them to the ENCOM brass as his own work.

In his attempts to find proof of Dillinger’s theft, he’s been trying to hack his way back into ENCOM’s mainframes, which threatens to shut down the work of his friends Alan Bradley and Lora Baines.

Not realizing that Dillinger’s security program, MCP, is out of control and power hungry, Flynn uses Lora’s lab to try to access the information he’s been searching for. In retaliation, MCP digitizes Flynn to bring him into the cyber world, in an attempt to control and destroy Flynn.

But there’s another program MCP should be worried about: Alan Bradley’s TRON…

Related news: Yes, TRON 2.0 is a sequel currently in pre-production, slated for production start sometime later this spring. The electronica band Daft Punk has been signed to score the TRON 2.0 soundtrack

Watch the lightcycle scene again just for that nostalgic kick.

Listener Feedback: You can leave comments here for the show. You can also email all of us at ninjas-at-kickassmysticninjas-dot-com, and yes, you can also email in recorded commentary.

Movies mentioned:

Link: Wikipedia: TRON
Link: Tron-Sector: dedicated to the original movie, and TRON 2.0
Promo: The British Invaders

Related posts:

Comments

1. Hey guys, you show is not downloading on either itunes nor on the site. Just thought you’d like to know.

2. Jhonny from Uppsala/Satai says:

For some reason it seems that I’m not able to neither play nor download this bad puppy.

3. Chris in Chongqing says:

I’m having the same problem as Jhonny. When I try to download it in Itunes I got a file not found message. The same thing happened when I came to this site to download it directly.

4. Yeah, for me it’s like iTunes won’t even try to download it.

5. Lowell in Columbus says:

MCP has interupted the download process . . . Please Stand By . . . :-)

6. Oh, and did you guys ever see the bootleg of the Tron 2 teaser at ComicCon? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsSs_gE9FbI There are probably some higher qulaity ones out there, but it’s early and I’m still zonked.

7. Heh… this is what happens when Summer posts shows in the middle of the night and forgets to put the file in the right folder for download :)

Should be fixed now!

8. Thank God you’re back!

9. Ed from Texas says:

Definitely enjoyed this one. I’m pretty sure I had played both the “deluxe” version with the enclosed cabinet as well as the more traditional arcade box formats of “Discs of Tron”. Man, I’d love to see that for the Wii.

It’s funny when I think about movie and TV show commentaries when they mention how many effects shots they had, especially if it was a big increase from normal – and then remember that TRON was pretty much entirely effects shots, as you guys noted. Yes, the plot did have some issues, but it remains a landmark film. I wonder if we’ll get a Blu-Ray remastering someday.

As for Feist’s MAGICIAN – YES PLEASE! Feist’s early works – the original Riftwar and the Serpentwar Sagas, remain among my favorites. I didn’t catch him the first time around back in the 80’s (sorry Summer, I turned 10 in 1982), but I did find him when the 10th anniversary expanded Author’s Preferred Edition of Magician came out in 92/93.

10. QBall415 says:

Nope, still unavailable from rss or from your direct link…seems to be affecting all the shows (B5, KAMN, Dragon Page)…bummer. It’s so rare to get a KAMN, and then to have it denied me…tease!

11. Vanamonde says:

I never encountered the walkin cabinet in the arcades, just the standard upright version of Discs of Trons..still a cool game.

Oh and there is a modern day remake of the light cycles game called Armagetron that can be checked out at:

12. Jhonny from Uppsala/Satai says:

As always a pleasure to listen to the Ninjas sharing their ancient wisdom.

13. David, thanks for representing!

I was a sophomore in Computer Engineering when this came out and was completely turned off by the absolute lack of understanding of computers by the writers. Like someone gave them a bag of terminology and said, “Use these!”

Effects were great, granted and there were some fun scenes like the ‘cycles. Other than that, not much.

Joe, seriously? Better than the Matrix? Wow.

Love the show, as always. Sometimes the discussion really enhances my appreciation of the subject, other times the discussion is a much better use of my time than the work.

Thanks, guys and gals!

14. For those who have never seen the “Environmental Cabinet” version of Discs of TRON, this is a fair picture of one.

Almost makes me wish I’d taken pictures of my sitdown cabinet version of Empire Strikes Back. I have some pics of my standup version of Star Wars somewhere around here… but none of the other arcade games I used to own.

15. Bill from Albuquerque says:

To make everyone feel older, here are just a few of the personal computers out on the market (both fully assembled and kits you could order to build yourself) that were out when TRON was first released: TRS80, Models 1, 2, and 3 which were not compatible with each other (thanks Radio Shack), Texas Instruments Model 4000 and 9000, Commodore 64 and 128, Apple 1, Apple 2, and Apple 2e, Amiga had one out and so did Sega before concentrating on video game development. And then there were the IBM XT parts you could order from any computer magazine (Computer Shopper was one of the better ones at the time). I’m sure I missed a few models and some of these were being used long after there were better models put on the market (remember 8″ floppy disks???), but these were amongst the more well-known models. And this movie was the predecessor to the CGI flicks we get today. The one that showed the way of using computers to do what a room full of modelers were doing a generation before.

16. OK, I’m coming into this late, but am I the only person who ever noticed that this movie featured both John Sheridan and Londo Mollari? (Although I don’t member if they shared any screentime.)